If you ever have a conversation with your grand mother, she’ll tell you that back in the day they mostly relied on natural home remedies to treat almost every ailment. A lot may have changed now, but granny’s treasure trove of home remedies are still as effective as they used to be. Time to go back to your roots. Nature offers the best medicines for most ailments. Let’s look at few home remedies that can help some common problems that we may face.
1. Diarrhea: Boil brown or white rice in twice the amount of water you would normally use, then strain. Once the water is cool, drink it. This water contains electrolytes that help ease diarrhea.
2. Back Pain: White willow is considered as a natural alternative to Aspirin because it contains salicin, a pain reliving component.
3. Gout: Cherries contain compounds that block uric acid and calm inflammation. I advise people suffering from gout to eat a bowl of cherries daily.
4. Sty: Moisten black tea with warm or cold water, and apply on your eyelid. The tannic acid in tea will shrink swelling around the eye.
5. Osteoarthritis: Studies show that curcumin found in turmeric is extremely effective to reduce joint pain and swelling in people with osteoarthritis
6. Hot flashes: Studies show that sage reduces the frequency of hot flashes. Make a tea of fresh or dried sage, strain cool and drink.
7. Muscle cramps: Athletes can prevent muscle cramps by drinking lime juice with black salt as a electrolyte imbalance sparks muscle cramps, and the juice helps to restore sodium potassium with a boost of Vitamin C.
8. Gas:Fennel seeds contain a carminative compound that disperses gas from the intestinal tract. Chew and swallow half a tea spoon of seeds at the end of meals.
9. Arthritis Pain: Natural gelatin found in chicken soup contains collagen that helps relieve joint pain and inflammation.
10. Dry eyes: Take 1 or 2 tea spoons of pure flax seeds oil each day. The anti-inflammatory properties of omega 3 fatty acids reduce the dryness of the eyes.
11 Acne: Apple cider vinegar works as an astringent to dry up excess oil. Use a ratio of 1 part of vinegar to 3 parts of water. Dip cotton ball into the mix and apply it to the blemish.
12. Diabetes: Study shows that the gurmar plant possesses anti-diabetic and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also used to facilitate weight loss.
13. Asthma: Heat some sesame seed oil and gently massage it on the chest and upper back. Do it several times a day till symptoms subside.
14. Weak bones: Chia seeds contain 4 times more absorbable calcium than milk. Chia seeds are powerhouses of nutrients. Add them to smoothies, curd or dal for this boost.
15. Constipation: A tablespoon of flaxseeds (freshly ground) to be eaten at bed time with warm water helps relive constipation.